Wednesday, October 21, 2009

National Awards are still very credible

Watched the 55th National Film Awards ceremony..
Shankar Mahadevan sang "Maa" and by the end of his performance, everyone from the President to Manna Dey to Yash Chopra to Priyadarshan to Percept's Shailendra Singh to Sonam Kapoor to the Army men on President's security were teary and eyes of some even failed to contain.. Reminds me that all of us are humans.. And when Shreya Ghosal sang "Yeh Ishq Haaye", a camera caught the President humming the song along.. Truly music transcends or I may say art transcends.... actually, what not??
After the National Awards were announced, I managed to catch a couple of the awarded movies which I had not already seen. And I realized what I would have missed had it not been for the National Awards recognizing these fantastic creations.. I am eagerly waiting for the English or Hindi versions of others..
If not for the National Awards, I would have not known that Priyadarshan who directed the three utterly funny characters in a slugfest for money in "Hera Pheri" could with even more finesse depict a silk weavers inability to buy a silk saree and his subsequent trysts with communism in "Kanchivaram".. And that Shailendra Singh and Percept who manage the big and the rich including many of our dear cricketers, also support regional cinema and produce movies like Kanchivaram..
Its great to see that the National Awards recognize good cinema and retain credibility amidst the numerous pompy showy popular cliche award functions..

No comments: